Everyone I know seems to find it really hard to shop for jeans.
Believe it or not, I only own a few pairs of jeans and I actually only wore one pair all of this year. It’s taken me FOREVER to find the right cut and fit for my body type. I like them to be comfy of course (who doesn’t), and I can’t stand it when I struggle to get them on, over my feet. I also like them to be the right waist height and the right width at the ankle and lower leg.
I’m like Goldilocks! I like my jeans to be just right.
So, before you go jean shopping ask yourself the following:
- What’s the need or purpose of the jeans? Are they to wear to work, on the weekends to the football or out for drinks with friends? This will determine the wash, the rise, the length and the cut. The purpose will determine EVERYTHING!
- What colour denim should you buy? Light, dark or somewhere in between? Dark denim without sand washing is the most sophisticated choice. If I’m going out at night, I would only ever wear dark denim or black denim because it’s much dressier than light coloured denim. You can ‘dress-up” dark denim with a dressy top or blouse. Light coloured denim is a much more casual look and perhaps should be kept for day time dressing. In Summer I love white denim because it looks really fresh.
- How high do you want the rise? I only every wear high-rise. No bum crack or muffin top low-rise for me. If you’re short waisted then perhaps go for a mid-rise but I do think a higher waist is more comfortable and it seems to hold everything in and appears dressier and more flattering.
- Do you want stretch? Most jeans now days have a small percentage of elastane in them which makes them so much more comfortable and easier to move in. That said, check the label for the percentage of elastane, it should be anywhere between 1-3%. If you find the jeans get too loose after a couple of wears then you just need to wash them again so they go back to size. If they have elastane in them buy them tight in the first place.
- Distressed or not? I would never wear distressed denim at night or to work. If you do like the distressed look then go for a lighter coloured denim and only wear them to casual day time activities.
- Have you figured out what your go-to brand is? If you find jeans that you love then I recommend you buy them in multiples.
My current favourites are Trenery – straight fit in dark denim and H&M in high rise black for going out at night. I also wear Agolde, a Californian label that I have in a light colour for casual daytime wear and also fresh white for day or casual nights in Summer. Oh and don't forget denim cutoffs as well!
Lots of love,